Re: Colored Pencils and Sharpeners

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
marianna Delafield (mdelafield@cfu-cybernet.net)
Wed, 18 Aug 1999 20:39:52 -0500

-----Original Message-----
From: GLENDA MOORE <GMOORE.US>
To: artsednet.edu <artsednet.edu>
Date: Wednesday, August 18, 1999 1:06 PM
Subject: Colored Pencils and Sharpeners

>My classes are scheduled by grade levels which means I have 5-6 classes in
a row using the same materials. When we use colored pencils approximately
150-180 students are using them back-to-back. This means a lot of
sharpening! I have one hand-turn sharpener on the wall, but that leaves a
constant line of 5 or more waiting. I also have two electric sharpeners,
but they get hot after about 10 minutes and won't work again until they
cool. I really like having small sharpeners on each table so the students
won't have to get up, but so far I've not been successful in finding a brand
or type that doesn't destroy my pencils. Does anyone know where I can find
some GOOD quality sharpeners? Or...could it be the quality of my colored
pencils....Prang and Crayola?

>Thanks! (in advance)
>Glenda Moore
>Rockingham NC
>Raeford NC

I stumbled onto make-up (eyebrow and lip pencils) pencil sharpeners for my
own work, and found that they conserve the pencil more than any regualr
sharpeners that I have used. I don't know how they would hold up in a
classroom situation, but they are sure inexpensive, if you watch clinique
and este lauder promotions and get them with the other freebies. Then if
you can talk several friends into giving you their promotion gifts, you'd
have it made. I imagine that it would also be possible to get someone at
the make-up counters to get them for you for school use, (try a parent who
works there). Otherwise I suppose they are a couple dollars apiece. Still
cheap at that!!!