Re: buying photo equiptment or not a Y2K question

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
wduncan (wduncan)
Wed, 18 Aug 1999 18:45:49 -0500

Morning Dawn,
Could not resist that, I had a student once named Sunshine. I started every

morning with "Good Morning, Sunshine". Sorry if you missed the 60's you might
not even get it. Arlo Guthie says, "that if you remember the 60's, then you
weren't
there." If you don't know who Arlo is, I'm sorry, he's Woody's boy.
My point for writing is:
I love photography, and use it all the time. With my new super tech
automatic
camera I have forgotten most of what I ever knew about real photography.
When I purchased my first 35 mm SLR I thought I was cheating because it had
a built in light meter. I haven't worked in a darkroom for years. I did in
high
school (1960) and in college classes (1970) and later built my own darkroom
at home (1980). Be patient, I do have a point here. That is it takes a lot of
knowledge to teach the technical side of photography, the chemistry, the
f-stops,
film speeds, shutter speeds, etc. And is it a dying medium, going the way of
the
eight track. I spent several hundred dollars having a quality professional lab
finish up photos I took of my granddaughters wedding, when I should have printed

them all out using my scanner and ink jet printer. Together those two pieces of

equipment cost less than the professional processing. My point is, with digital

cameras, a computer and printer maybe we should be concentrating our teaching
on the art of selecting, composing, design, cropping, color manipulating and
presentation
rather than on the antique photographic knowledge I love but my students will
perhaps
never use again. Regressing again, in high school I learned to hand set type
from a
california job case. Now the only job cases I see are part of a Louise Nevelson

sculpture at the Nelson Gallery. I'm going to borrow a digital camera to use
with my
students this year. Perhaps I will be testing out my own theory.
Sorry for the long story, Woody in KC

--

This E-mail message is from Artist/Teacher Woody Duncan Rosedale Middle School in Kansas City, Kansas the new URL for school is http://kancrn.kckps.k12.ks.us/user04 to see my beautiful grandkids Tim, Tess and Tiff click on http://www.taospaint.com/NineMonths.html to see my students working in the RMSartSTUDIO click on http://kancrn.kckps.k12.ks.us/user04/art.self.htm to contact me via E-mail click on wduncan better yet visit my Web Site at http://www.taospaint.com