Re: Colored Pencils and Sharpeners

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
R.E.William Loring (bcloring)
Wed, 18 Aug 1999 15:51:12 -0700

I also use the small german hand held sharpeners for drawing classes. The
waste of seeing a colored pencil go up in shavings makes my cheap little
heart bleed. After many years of dealing with the hamster cage type mess
that the shavings made I decided to go on an altoid tin saving binge. Lots
of the teachers in my building buy mints in little tins and send them to me
when they are empty...everyone who gets a set of colored pencils also gets
an accompanying sharpener in a tin...lots easier to keep track of the
sharpeners...just shake the can...candace
-----Original Message-----
From: GLENDA MOORE <GMOORE.US>
To: artsednet.edu <artsednet.edu>
Date: Wednesday, August 18, 1999 11:19 AM
Subject: Colored Pencils and Sharpeners

>My classes are scheduled by grade levels which means I have 5-6 classes in
a row using the same materials. When we use colored pencils approximately
150-180 students are using them back-to-back. This means a lot of
sharpening! I have one hand-turn sharpener on the wall, but that leaves a
constant line of 5 or more waiting. I also have two electric sharpeners,
but they get hot after about 10 minutes and won't work again until they
cool. I really like having small sharpeners on each table so the students
won't have to get up, but so far I've not been successful in finding a brand
or type that doesn't destroy my pencils. Does anyone know where I can find
some GOOD quality sharpeners? Or...could it be the quality of my colored
pencils....Prang and Crayola?