Re: _Drawing with Children_

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
John & Sandra Barrick (astroboy)
Tue, 17 Aug 1999 12:00:12 -0400

"L.P. Skeen" wrote:

> Is anybody using this book for the lessons inside? I was really
> impressed with the samples of work she shows in the book; I'll be REALLY
> impressed if I can use her methods and get work that good out of my
> kids.
> --
> Lisa Skeen

This has been discussed many times in the past year and a half. In
the archives you could find the replies if no one answers. Yes
people on the list use it. I my self have only had the kids do the
exercises. I also tried out the bird with success but I used flash
cards for each added part. Now I don't think having kids do this as
a dot to dot is good but I was teaching a preschool art class and
wanted to evaluate the fine motor skills and what they actually
could see and draw (eye hand coordination) This let me evaluate what
stage they were at as well as how well they could follow directions
that were given. I did it at the beginning of school. I spent a
month, one week per element of line (5)shapes. Then I did the bird.
After that month the lessons were completely tactile, experimental,
and process oriented. It was more for my info than theirs. At the
end of the year I did the bird with 3 children all at different
stages but the same age to see how their fine motor skills had
improved. All did, but they were still not writing more than their
name. I thought the 3 gave me a good sample of what all 16 kids were
capable of. I know that it has helped kids at home though. I have
recommended it to parents of siblings in my class and they were
amazed by the progress they showed. These kids were 4th-6th though
and I still think it's a bit formal for young children. If you have
a child that is inquisitive and wants to try it, I wouldn't ban them
from using it though. I mainly let the child decide when he/she
feels comfortable working on art. I had that luxury and wouldn't
force it on them.

--
john barrick
http://home.fuse.net/astroboy