RE: creationism vs. evolutionism

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
Kimberly Anne Herbert (kimberly)
Mon, 16 Aug 1999 09:31:33 -0500

In high school, our biology teacher went through a spiel before beginning a
unit on evolution about how it was a theory and that she couldn't comment on
creationism but that we should speak to our parents and religious clergy
about it. From her tone I believe she did not believe in evolution but in
creationism. About 1/4th of that particular class was Catholic. That week at
CCD (Sunday School) we asked Father Eric what was up. We were told not to
worry about, that the church accepted both views God created the world
through evolution, and the multiple creation stories were parables. I have
to say Father Eric shook up the faculty of our public school. When a group
of us put a church history class answer on a public school world history
test, he apologized to the teacher and asked if we could get partial credit.
(The question was what are the different types of priests church answer
Deacon, Priest, Bishop School Answer - Deacon, Priest, Monsignor, Bishop,
Arch-Bishop, Cardinal, Pope) A few weeks later he called to complain
portrayal of the crimes the church committed during the inquisition. He felt
the public school was sugar coating the churches actions, and should be much
more critical. They changed church history to Senior year CCD after that
year, so that it would not be taken the same year as world history in the
public schools.
Kimberly
-----Original Message-----
From: owner-artsednet.edu
[owner-artsednet.edu] On Behalf Of Melissa Enderle
Sent: Saturday, August 14, 1999 9:13 PM
To: Lawrence A. Parker/OCCTI; Artemis420; open;
lincarts; artsednet.edu
Subject: Re: creationism vs. evolutionism

I interpret the Kansas school board's decision from a different
perspective. One thing that they wanted to stress is that evolution is only
a theory. Contrary to this, it is often taught as a fact, with no or few
disputing or alternative ideas presented. Such failure to present multiple
viewpoints or ideas can misinform kids and will not give kids the knowledge
or opportunity to formulate their own beliefs on the subject.
I happen to believe that I was created by God, and that my ancestors
were humans, not amoeba that just "happened" to evolve into complex life. In
college, the only thing presented at the Catholic institution was evolution.
I was both shocked and offended that Creation was not even presented as an
alternative idea to how the world and its life forms came into being.
The school board, in my understanding, wants to allow for the
presentation of the subject to come from multiple viewpoints, and not be
strapped down only by the otherwise perceived "fact" of evolution. What's
wrong with that?

__________________________________
| Melissa Enderle |
/)| melissae |(\
/ )| || \
__( ( art teacher/ adaptive art /_) ) )__
((( \ \ /_) / / / ) ))
(\\\ \ \_/ / \ \_/ / ///)
\ / \ /
\ _/ \_ /
/ / \ \
/ / \ \
Melissa Enderle
melissae

----------
>From: "Lawrence A. Parker/OCCTI" <occti>
>To: <Artemis420>, <open>, <lincarts>,
<artsednet.edu>
>Subject: Re: Fw: creationism vs. evolutionism
>Date: Fri, Aug 13, 1999, 11:13 PM
>

>> Not only that, but my experience is that children love to be challenged
>> use their thinkers! Much better than pages and pages of rote, remember,
> and
>> regurgitate!
>> Artie
>
> Oh, YES!! Isn't that what we all complained about in school ourselves?
And