Re: back to school

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
Maggie White (mwhite)
Mon, 16 Aug 1999 05:49:53 -0700

Hi, Jen,

I do something fun the first couple of periods in my 2D and
Drawing classes to help illustrate the importance of observation
when learning to draw. First, they all draw a horse from memory
(it has to be something they're very familiar with; if you don't
have a lot of horses running around, choose something like their
sneakers).

Then I project a transparency of a photograph of a horse and
point out proportions and contours. They compare their drawing
to the photograph without changing it. Then they draw the horse
on the back side of the paper, this time observing the
transparency and measuring proportions and contours. The
difference between the two drawings is usually incredible. It
gives most of the kids a lot of success right away. I keep these
drawings 'til the end of the semester and they get a big kick out
of them.

Maggie