Re: Art lessons for the blind

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
Joseph Augusta (jaugusta)
Sun, 15 Aug 1999 14:26:31 -0400

"Lawrence A. Parker/OCCTI" wrote:

> What art, and how, can we make accessible to the sensory deprived or
> handicapped?
> What forms of art *can* be used by those same people?

Sculpture is often appreciated more by the blind than the sighted. Recently,
while finishing up the installation of my neon wall pieces at a Cambridge
gallery, a class from a school for the blind stopped by--and the instructor
asked if the students could examine the work. Though it might have been a tad
dangerous (due to the high voltage present in the wires) I agreed, and watched
as they approached the work feeling along all the curves in the glass with their
fingers. Personally, it was a humbling experience--in that no one ever sees
every little curve and bend I put into the glass---yet these students felt
everything I had done---and enjoyed the work!

Furthermore, they sensed the current in the wires, and never came close to
harming themselves!

best wishes,
Joseph