Re: Religion in public schools

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
wduncan (wduncan)
Sun, 15 Aug 1999 13:06:07 -0500

Thanks, Larry.

Rosa, are Larry and I on the right track here.

Woody in KC

"Lawrence A. Parker/OCCTI" wrote:

> > Am I correct that the Norsemen or Vikings often put Christian symbols on
> one
> > side of a head stone and other religious symbols on the other. Sort of
> like
> > hedging your bets at the track. I like that idea, why take any chances.
> > Woody in KC
> Woody,
> So far as I can remember, you are right: the people in that area did in fact
> put Xian symbols on one side of their tombstones and 'other' religious
> symbols on the other. I doubt if they were the only ones. As has been
> noted on this list, Xians (historically) have persecuted those who did not
> convert to their way of thinking.
> However, it was not to 'hedge their bets.' Rather, it was to 'please' the
> Xians (i.e. protect themselves from getting killed as savage heretics), so
> the Xian symbols were usually on the front of the stone, and to stay 'true'
> to their native religion, which symbols were often placed on the back of the
> stone.
> Larry

This E-mail message is from Artist/Teacher Woody Duncan Rosedale Middle School in Kansas City, Kansas the new URL for school is to see my beautiful grandkids Tim, Tess and Tiff click on to see my students working in the RMSartSTUDIO click on to contact me via E-mail click on wduncan better yet visit my Web Site at