Re: Religion in public schools

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
wduncan (wduncan)
Sun, 15 Aug 1999 11:44:17 -0500

Am I correct that the Norsemen or Vikings often put Christian symbols on one
side of a head stone and other religious symbols on the other. Sort of like
hedging your bets at the track. I like that idea, why take any chances.
Woody in KC

Rosa Juliusdottir wrote:

> I like the discussion about religion in public schools. I remember when I
> first realized there was no religion in American schools that I found it
> strange. We have a state religion in Iceland(Lutheran) and it is taught in
> our schools but we also teach about other religions. Also the religous
> teaching is mostly about morality and keeping up traditions that go with
> our religion, Holidays etc.. Icelanders are not big churchgoers on the
> whole and many say we still believe in the old things like "little" people
> or "hidden people" in Nature. Anyway it is all very easy and not forced on
> anyone and I think like so many of you have said we cannot teach art of
> different cultures without teaching about a peopleīs beliefs. Therefor it
> would be unthinkable to teach here without teaching about the religion we
> had before we "became" christian in the year 1000, that is the old Norse
> mythology and in many of my art lesson that is where we fetch ideas just
> like in the beliefs of people in far away lands. So I really donīt
> understand how you could possible teach art without teaching about the many
> kinds of religions, beliefs and customs that make our world so colorful.
> And I myself even if brought up on this State religion I do not practise
> it, go to church etc. but we learned the ten commandments(which were of
> course not Christian in the first place) as children and I think they are
> just good moral rules for one to go by.
> Well enough now, but I have enjoyed this discussion much and I think it is
> good how many of you teach about different religions.
> Regards from the far north, Rosa

This E-mail message is from Artist/Teacher Woody Duncan Rosedale Middle School in Kansas City, Kansas the new URL for school is to see my beautiful grandkids Tim, Tess and Tiff click on to see my students working in the RMSartSTUDIO click on to contact me via E-mail click on wduncan better yet visit my Web Site at