Re: Religion in public schools

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
Joseph Augusta (jaugusta)
Sun, 15 Aug 1999 07:40:02 -0400

wduncan wrote:

> Joseph, Joseph, Joseph, are you trying to stir the pot ?
> How can you teach about the art of this world without touching upon
> the belief systems of the world ?

> One last word on this topic. You've mentioned that you teach middle school
> students--an impressionable group to be sure. And that you're a Buddist teaching
> Buddism---just "about" you say, but since you've consciously converted to this
> religion-- you can't avoid a subtle form of proselytizing.

And do you then, to be fair, invite adherents of Christianity, Judaism, Islam,
Sikkism, Wicca, or Satanism-- or any of the other hundreds of world religions--to
talk about their faith to your students? I doubt it. This is quite wide of the
mark in the art classroom--yet on a personal level, this is what you're engaged in.

The deeper you look into permitting religion into the public schools, the more you
realize the wisdom in preventing, or at least, strictly controlling its
introduction.

Best wishes,
Joseph