Re: creationism vs. evolutionism

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
Melissa Enderle (melissae)
Sat, 14 Aug 1999 21:12:35 -0500

I interpret the Kansas school board's decision from a different
perspective. One thing that they wanted to stress is that evolution is only
a theory. Contrary to this, it is often taught as a fact, with no or few
disputing or alternative ideas presented. Such failure to present multiple
viewpoints or ideas can misinform kids and will not give kids the knowledge
or opportunity to formulate their own beliefs on the subject.
I happen to believe that I was created by God, and that my ancestors
were humans, not amoeba that just "happened" to evolve into complex life. In
college, the only thing presented at the Catholic institution was evolution.
I was both shocked and offended that Creation was not even presented as an
alternative idea to how the world and its life forms came into being.
The school board, in my understanding, wants to allow for the
presentation of the subject to come from multiple viewpoints, and not be
strapped down only by the otherwise perceived "fact" of evolution. What's
wrong with that?

__________________________________
| Melissa Enderle |
/)| melissae |(\
/ )| || \
__( ( art teacher/ adaptive art /_) ) )__
((( \ \ /_) / / / ) ))
(\\\ \ \_/ / \ \_/ / ///)
\ / \ /
\ _/ \_ /
/ / \ \
/ / \ \
Melissa Enderle
melissae

----------
>From: "Lawrence A. Parker/OCCTI" <occti>
>To: <Artemis420>, <open>, <lincarts>,
<artsednet.edu>
>Subject: Re: Fw: creationism vs. evolutionism
>Date: Fri, Aug 13, 1999, 11:13 PM
>

>> Not only that, but my experience is that children love to be challenged to
>> use their thinkers! Much better than pages and pages of rote, remember,
> and
>> regurgitate!
>> Artie
>
> Oh, YES!! Isn't that what we all complained about in school ourselves? And
> often the most liked and respected teacher was the one who actively
> challenged the students.
>
> For those interested, look up Charles Sanders Peirce (American philosopher,
> late 19th century) and his development of the 'community of inquiry.'
>
> Also take a look at http://philosopher.org , which chronicles the work of my
> colleague, Chris Phillips. Chris has been developing philosophical
> communities in the Mission District schools of San Francisco.
>
> Larry

  • Reply: Kimberly Anne Herbert: "RE: creationism vs. evolutionism"