Re: "salvation"

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
wendy sauls (wsauls)
Sat, 14 Aug 1999 16:59:16 -0400

------=_NextPart_000_0060_01BEE676.577D2020

bob's post gave me goosebumps, it really hit home. i'm sure a lot of =
one's perspective depends on personal experience - i would never wish to =
offend, but i find it sometimes uncomfortable and other times =
unfathomable how so many people in "my" culture support so avidly and =
without question an organization that has done some awful things =
throughout history (christianity). its bizarre how people in the middle =
east can be characterized as horrible because of some who support holy =
wars (perhaps the ultimate oxymoron, there). what were the crusades, =
the spanish inquisition, the salem witch trials? different? its not =
like there aren't any spritual groups to choose from who do not have a =
history of violence, either. =20

up until moving to a small town in florida in 9th grade spiritual =
education provided by my parents included trips to houses of worship =
with friends who were jewish, catholic, presbyterian...and being pretty =
much forced to read parts of many religious texts. however, we as a =
family didn't have a religious organization with which we associated =
ourselves. in freshman english after doing a raise your hand type =
survey conducted by the teacher i turned out to be the only one who =
admitted they didn't go to church, hadn't been baptized or saved, and =
wasn't clear on my belief in god and jesus. that "admission" led me to =
being told i was going to burn in hell and also that i was most likely a =
witch, too. this came from the teacher. i got a lot of other nasty =
treatment from other teachers and students, too. i felt like a pariah. =
btw, i was a straight a kid who never got in trouble and tried hard not =
to be too weird. although i strive to not be bitter about these types =
of experiences and recognize that christians do a lot of good things, =
too, i've talked with so many others who have had experiences similar to =
mine, including my present students. its heartbreaking to relive my pain =
along with theirs when i hear their stories. i find it beyond =
comprehension how the same people who say stuff like, "what would jesus =
do?" treat others this way. if jesus was real, having read the bible as =
i had to do, i feel confident in saying he definitely would not do that! =
the hypocrisy is unbearable, to say the least. =20

if anyone puts up the 10 commandments in our school, i'll be right =
behind them posting pertinent teachings of the torah, koran, lao tzu, =
jah, wiccans, and obi wan kenobi!!

:D wendy "the witch"
----- Original Message -----=20