Re: Woodys woodcuts

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
wduncan (wduncan)
Fri, 13 Aug 1999 21:26:16 -0500

I don't want to get away, I even printed your woodcut advice out to pin up
in the classroom so I'd remember to try some wood cuts.
Woody in KC

Betty Bowen wrote:

> Woody, you can't get away that easily without more woodcut advice from me!
> Baltic birch can be obtained usually as paneling at a good lumber yard. The
> Luan mahogany that backs most paneling gives a lovely veiled almost
> transparent quality. I use it a lot for layering color. What's good about
> birch is that it is very clear and it is easy to cut across the grain. So is
> aspen if you can get it. Having a variety of same-size boards around just
> for layering grains / experimenting is fun. Plywood is good because it is
> thinner and less prone to warping. If you remove LOTS of surface and it
> warps, then remove lots of surface from the back as well, and it should be
> ok.
> If you have a wood with a heavy grain (seaswirl fir is fantastic), hitting
> it with a blowtorch and/or a wire brush will enhance the grain. I think some
> people sandblast it also. I've kept the same ten blocks of seaswirl for a
> decade, and use them over and over, since I never cut them, I just stencil
> an area to ink.
> some people (Karen Kunc being a notable) like to do their drawing, coat it
> with damar varnish, then lightly sand (the varnish brings up the grain, you
> know). That way the ink is lots easier to clean off, and your drawing stays
> put. Other people, like Ray Gloeckler and Mary Dryburgh, coat their blocks
> with India ink first so they can see where they've cut. I just cut.
> Shina plywood is the best but a little more difficult to come by. I can't
> find McLain's on line, but they're who I have always ordered from. I hope
> they haven't suddenly disappeared.
> For hand printing I use two wooden drawer pulls glued back to back. One
> round, one square.
> Good luck. Woodcut is addictive.
> Betty

This E-mail message is from Artist/Teacher Woody Duncan Rosedale Middle School in Kansas City, Kansas the new URL for school is to see my beautiful grandkids Tim, Tess and Tiff click on to see my students working in the RMSartSTUDIO click on to contact me via E-mail click on wduncan better yet visit my Web Site at