Re: Fw: creationism vs. evolutionism

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
wduncan (wduncan)
Fri, 13 Aug 1999 17:27:26 -0500

Our state tests are meant to drive teaching. At least that is the view point of
the progressive
education departments in our state universities. The theory being that if we
write challenging
concepts into our tests, and teachers wish students to score well then they will
teach differently.
Our state school board has been taken over by a very conservative group who is
appalled that we
would expect students to think on tests. They prefer multiple choice, black and
white answers rather
than open ended problems with multiple solutions. The board has ten members and
this is not the first
roadblock. It's been 5 to 5 (no decision) for a while on this and other
issues. Now it's 6-4)
My personal opinion is that for the next couple of years science teachers are
going to do a better job
of teaching the concept of evolution just to spite the board. Even teachers who
write the standards
in their field (me included) do what they think is best in the classroom.
Woody in Kansas City, "Kansas"

--

This E-mail message is from Artist/Teacher Woody Duncan Rosedale Middle School in Kansas City, Kansas the new URL for school is http://kancrn.kckps.k12.ks.us/user04 to see my beautiful grandkids Tim, Tess and Tiff click on http://www.taospaint.com/NineMonths.html to see my students working in the RMSartSTUDIO click on http://kancrn.kckps.k12.ks.us/user04/art.self.htm to contact me via E-mail click on wduncan better yet visit my Web Site at http://www.taospaint.com