Re: Fw: creationism vs. evolutionism

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
Lawrence A. Parker/OCCTI (occti)
Fri, 13 Aug 1999 17:01:17 -0400

----- Original Message -----
From: Lincoln Arts <lincarts>
To: <artsednet.edu>
Sent: Friday, August 13, 1999 3:28 PM
Subject: Re: Fw: creationism vs. evolutionism

> I certainly don't want to get into a philosophical (sp?) discussion of
> religion on this site (those discussions haven't always gone over too well
> on this site in the past).

I understand what you're saying, but isn't it a sad state of affairs when
such discussions do not 'go over well' on an educational discussion list?
If teachers/educators were to be involved in any pursuit related to their
profession, shouldn't it be this?

Yes, your spelling was correct.

> However, .... Hasn't the Kansas state school board determined that state
> tests will not have science questions that allude to/cover evolution in
any
> way?

Strange, indeed. Do you, or anyone, have any idea why the state board would
take such a stand? Is everyone aware of what Darwin discovered, how and
why, and why he was so vehemently attacked by the church and religious
factions? What did Darwin find, and what did it imply?

> And if that is true, doesn't this mean that most districts won't have
> it taught in the classroom because they'll want teachers to concentrate on
> teaching what WILL be on the tests?

This would not be a surprising consequence. Most schools are doing just
that with the new proficiencies. Perhaps if we put questions which require
critical thought on the state tests, schools and teachers would teach
thinking. What do you all think?

Larry Parker