Fw: creationism vs. evolutionism

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
Lawrence A. Parker/OCCTI (occti)
Fri, 13 Aug 1999 08:58:42 -0400

----- Original Message -----
From: Lawrence A. Parker/OCCTI <occti>
To: OPEN <open>; <wduncan>
Sent: Friday, August 13, 1999 8:37 AM
Subject: creationism vs. evolutionism

> [...]
our
> own
> > thing anyway.
>
> Apart from my opinion that the teaching of creationism should be left to
the
> church and that a teaching of creationism to the exclusion of evolutionary
> theory in the schools shudders of church control of public schools
> (parochial schools are, of course, another matter), perhaps teachers
should,
> so far as they are able, teach or present both. They are both, after all,
> only theories, and both most likely have as many adherents who claim that
> theirs is the 'truth'. Scientific stellar theory, for example, can only
> account for the creation of the universe back to within something like
> 1/200th of second AFTER the 'beginning'. What happened before that they
do
> not at this time know, but at least they can present evidence and data for
> everything up to that point.
>
> So, present both as theories, then examine them according to the same
agreed
> upon standards/criteria - evidence, consistency, integrity,
reasonableness,
> rationality, etc.
>
> To make clear my own position, although I was raised Methodist and am in
> fact married to an ecumenical church organist, I am religiously an atheist
> and philosophically an agnostic. By this I mean that religious belief is
> just that - a belief. It depends on how you answer the question, "Do you
> *believe* that there is a God or gods?" This is not a question of
knowledge
> ("Do you *know* that there is a God or gods?"). Philosophically, I admit
> lack of knowledge in either direction. Gnosticism was an early form of
> religious belief based on an experience by the individual of God's
presence,
> upon which someone based their belief in the implied 'fact'. I have never
> experienced anything which would lead me to believe that there is a
'supreme
> being or beings'. Thus, I am A-gnostic.
>
> Interestingly, as science has delved deeper and deeper into the fabric of
> the universe through quantum studies, it has become clearer and clearer
that
> the deeper we look, everything is the same at the most sublime level. A
> point the Taoist have maintained since the writings of Lao-tse nearly
3,500
> years ago. Everything else is created from this fabric by our perceiving
> minds (like waves in an ocean by the effects of wind and gravity) and is
in
> a sense, when compared with the nature of the pervasive ocean, illusion.
> Or, Maya, as the Hindus have referred to it.
>
> I leave it to you teachers to consider these things and then do your own
> thing, but be sure that you are being fair to the children.

  • Reply: Lincoln Arts: "Re: Fw: creationism vs. evolutionism"
  • Reply: Lawrence A. Parker/OCCTI: "Re: Fw: creationism vs. evolutionism"
  • Reply: wduncan: "Re: Fw: creationism vs. evolutionism"
  • Reply: Artemis420: "Re: Fw: creationism vs. evolutionism"
  • Reply: Lincoln Arts: "Re: Fw: creationism vs. evolutionism"
  • Reply: Lincoln Arts: "Re: Fw: creationism vs. evolutionism"
  • Reply: Lawrence A. Parker/OCCTI: "Re: Fw: creationism vs. evolutionism"
  • Reply: Lawrence A. Parker/OCCTI: "Re: Fw: creationism vs. evolutionism"
  • Reply: Artemis420: "Re: Fw: creationism vs. evolutionism"
  • Reply: RWilk85411: "Re: Fw: creationism vs. evolutionism"
  • Reply: wduncan: "Re: Fw: creationism vs. evolutionism"