Re: Lessons

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
wduncan (wduncan)
Thu, 12 Aug 1999 19:16:23 -0500

I'll be quite honest, I make it cut and dried. A magazine and a
worksheet. But, I do try to make it worth doing.
I let the students work in small (2-3 each) groups to help each other.
I write 20 to 25 questions in the same order that they read the
magazine. I even indicate in the margin which pages to look on. Of the
120 magazines I'm sure I've written lessons for well over 1/2 of them.
We use them in class as a resource all the time.
I have 20 years of Art and Man or Scholastic Art filed in my classroom.
Each file box has a laminated section of
a cover on it to identify the artist or subject. I made 13 sets of
worksheets and a pre marked teachers copy to go with 13 magazines. All
of this is kept in manilla envelopes in the lower drawer of my desk. In
three years I've used up less than 1/2 of them. I try to choose an
artist relevant to what we are working on if I can. But they are ready
and I keep a list of the artists/topics at home. If I'm out I call the
automated sub finder and request a sub. I can record instructions over
the phone and request a certain sub, if available, or just let the
computer locate a sub for me. I don't want the day wasted, but I don't
want my room destroyed either. Instructions are to get no art materials
out. It's art history time, and I want the sub to learn the material
the first or second time through so they can handle helping the students
with it. Substitutes welcome a well organized day, and you never know
if they what their background is. If no sub arrives, my fellow staff
members get to fill in on their planning periods. The office doesn't
ask me to cover very often because I made an off the cuff remark one day
not to ask me to cover until they had asked everyone with two plans
first. I didn't realize they would follow those instructions.
If you don't have past magazines find relevant newspaper
articles and make a classroom set to go with some worthwhile, but simple
to administer activity. I believe in setting my students up for
success. Why not set the sub up for success, they will appreciate it.

Woody in KC

--

This E-mail message is from Artist/Teacher Woody Duncan Rosedale Middle School in Kansas City, Kansas the new URL for school is http://kancrn.kckps.k12.ks.us/user04 to see my beautiful grandkids Tim, Tess and Tiff click on http://www.taospaint.com/NineMonths.html to see my students working in the RMSartSTUDIO click on http://kancrn.kckps.k12.ks.us/user04/art.self.htm to contact me via E-mail click on wduncan better yet visit my Web Site at http://www.taospaint.com