Re: Cataloging/filing resources

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
wduncan (wduncan)
Thu, 12 Aug 1999 06:24:28 -0500

I have a strange system to know where reproductions are at. Most of it is how
last used. For about 12 years I have had an artist of the week every week. I
keep a list in my computer since I type up daily definitions to go with each
artist. At the end of the year I print out a list week 1 ---- week 36 or
Matisse ---- Kollwitz. I staple the lists up on one board near my desk. They
are all still there, some are a bit faded. By scanning the lists I keep from
repeating an artist in the same 3 year span. Then if I need Lucy Lewis I look
for her name and know to look in 1991's folder cause that's where I used her
last. (if I didn't pull her out for some special reason). Other prints are in
folders (just 36 inch sheets of brown wrapping paper folded over) some by group
like: O'keeffe, African-american, Chinese art, landscapes, etc. Since one print
(reproduction) could go in several categories, they aren't "mutually exclusive"
(library term) its hard to devise a system. And, since the one's really worth
using are so damn big, and you need to store them flat, it creates a demand for
shelf space. I just build more deep shelves. Some people are organized with
files, others are organized in piles. I just hope I remember what pile I put it
in last. But you know, you find 6 or 7 things that you forgot you had in the
process of looking for that one thing you need today. Good Luck, Woody in KC

Moonbeargj wrote:

> This topic really interests me. I like to think that my classroom is
> organized....but filing prints has always been a problem for me. Currently I
> have three section in my room for sizes of prints. The filing cabinet stores
> small prints, then there is a box of medium prints , and the place where I
> keep the large prints. The small and medium prints are arranged by artist.
> Then, there are the slides and fillmstrips, and transparancies. Mostly, I
> rely on my memory to find what I need. I dream of being able to pull up what
> I want, when I want it, without a lot of hassle. As the year goes on, I
> don't take (or have!) the time to put everything back right away. If I
> thought my system was good, I would probably be more motivated to keep
> everything in order.
> I'm going in to school now to get my files in order... to start alll over
> again.

This E-mail message is from Artist/Teacher Woody Duncan Rosedale Middle School in Kansas City, Kansas the new URL for school is to see my beautiful grandkids Tim, Tess and Tiff click on to see my students working in the RMSartSTUDIO click on to contact me via E-mail click on wduncan better yet visit my Web Site at