Re: Cataloging/filing resources

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
wduncan (wduncan)
Thu, 12 Aug 1999 06:24:28 -0500

I have a strange system to know where reproductions are at. Most of it is how
last used. For about 12 years I have had an artist of the week every week. I
keep a list in my computer since I type up daily definitions to go with each
artist. At the end of the year I print out a list week 1 ---- week 36 or
Matisse ---- Kollwitz. I staple the lists up on one board near my desk. They
are all still there, some are a bit faded. By scanning the lists I keep from
repeating an artist in the same 3 year span. Then if I need Lucy Lewis I look
for her name and know to look in 1991's folder cause that's where I used her
last. (if I didn't pull her out for some special reason). Other prints are in
folders (just 36 inch sheets of brown wrapping paper folded over) some by group
like: O'keeffe, African-american, Chinese art, landscapes, etc. Since one print
(reproduction) could go in several categories, they aren't "mutually exclusive"
(library term) its hard to devise a system. And, since the one's really worth
using are so damn big, and you need to store them flat, it creates a demand for
shelf space. I just build more deep shelves. Some people are organized with
files, others are organized in piles. I just hope I remember what pile I put it
in last. But you know, you find 6 or 7 things that you forgot you had in the
process of looking for that one thing you need today. Good Luck, Woody in KC

--

This E-mail message is from Artist/Teacher Woody Duncan Rosedale Middle School in Kansas City, Kansas the new URL for school is http://kancrn.kckps.k12.ks.us/user04 to see my beautiful grandkids Tim, Tess and Tiff click on http://www.taospaint.com/NineMonths.html to see my students working in the RMSartSTUDIO click on http://kancrn.kckps.k12.ks.us/user04/art.self.htm to contact me via E-mail click on wduncan better yet visit my Web Site at http://www.taospaint.com