Re: portfolios & art student league?

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
Stacey Bernstein (staceyb)
Wed, 11 Aug 1999 15:56:21 -0700

Well... maybe I had the place wrong, but I could have sworn that a couple
of graduating students from two school years ago got the application
materials from the Art Students League in NY and that the thrust of what
the school was looking for was basd on direct observation...a more
"traditional" approach to representation, whereas the Art Instutute of
Chicago enthusiastically accepted a student whose work was more
stylistic/illustration-like.
If I am wrong about the name, I apologize, but the general idea of
different programs looking for different stuff is still valid, n'est-ce
pas? :-)

-Stace

At 11:15 AM -0400 8/11/99, John & Sandra Barrick wrote:
>> The Art Students League looks for a very different kind of work than, say,
>> the Institute of Chicago.
>Stacey,
> Do you mean the art student league in NY? I went there for four
>years age 14-17(I'm 38 now) I never had to show a portfolio. The
>great thing about going there was it was relatively inexpensive (30$
>for a month of classes)and anyone could go. You could be next to a
>professional artist and a housewife. It was a great place to see the
>widest range of talent there is- plus you had very experienced
>artist teaching. Of course it was non credited but it helped with my
>portfolio and that's what I showed to get into college. I did have
>to take all my drawing classes over again though.
>Sandra Barrick
>http://home.fuse.net/astroboy/Sandra.html
>
>astroboy

* * * * *
Visit:
V 2.5 http://robin.river.com/staceyb

Version 3.0 comin' soon.

* * * * *

"A work of art is above all an adventure of mind."
- Eugene Ionesco (1912 - 1994)

* * * * *