Re: High School portfolios

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
Stacey Bernstein (staceyb)
Wed, 11 Aug 1999 09:03:13 -0700

At 11:14 PM -0400 8/10/99, croberts wrote:
>What different kinds of work and how much needs to go in an art portfolio
>that a student will be using to enter college or art school?
>Carolyn

It really depends on the school, most art colleges will detail their
requirements in the catalogue or application form... It's safe to say that
observed drawings from life, not photos, are looked for... but really,
it's about what the focus of that young artist has been and where they want
to go to continue their investigations... photography? computer art?
sculpture? jewelry? etc...
The Art Students League looks for a very different kind of work that, say,
the Institute of Chicago.

If there is a Portfolio Day anywhere near your area, you should definitely
go...with or without some of your students, to see for yourself what these
schools are looking for. It's fun, crowded, and you can pick up catalogues
and get on mailing lists. Some schools will send a rep. out to speak to
prospective students, so you might find that out as well.

-Stacey B.

* * * * *
Visit:
V 2.5 http://robin.river.com/staceyb

Version 3.0 comin' soon.

* * * * *

"A work of art is above all an adventure of mind."
- Eugene Ionesco (1912 - 1994)

* * * * *