Re: Real Life Art

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
John & Sandra Barrick (astroboy)
Wed, 11 Aug 1999 10:11:42 -0400

Wizzlewolf wrote:

> OK all of you brilliant, creative, intelligent, ingenious art teachers,
> I have a scenario and a question,
> SCENARIO:
> Suppose you have a hypothetical class of students that are extremely
> academically challenged, few will go to vocational school, and fewer will go
> to college, if they graduate. If they come to school (some come only because
> of court order), they are hostile and violent. They reject learning and don't
> like to come to any classes, even art. Most think art is stupid, feminine
> (?), and does not relate to their lives.
> QUESTION:
> What kind of art lessons would you teach to help them realize that art is
> relevant to their lives and future? (Other than how to design tattoos! LOL)
> wizzle
Sorry guys my computer was down since yesterday afternoon so pardon
me if this was already said.

I would say a non conventional way. Perhaps through the environment.
I mean change your environment. If it seems too institutional than
change the room so that it is visually stimulating. Perhaps having
graffiti on paper covering the walls. Or if that is a problem,
murals, soft sculpture hanging from the ceilings. 5 or more
different
mediums presented and then approach it in a more conversational way.
Not a lecturing way! Include them in the discussion of what they are
viewing and what is appealing to them. Express your desire to help
them discover and uncover things that are inside them that will be
revealed by experimenting through art processes. Make it enticing
and intriguing. Art can be an outlet for those that don't have
another outlet. YOu may darken the room and show slides of work-
perhaps they haven't been exposed to art. I would also encourage
them to bring an object in-either from home or the trash. Preferable
metal. Then I would have them paint it or alter it. have pictures of
calder, duchamp etc. people who have used objects in their art and
as their art.

Sandra Barrick
astroboy