Re: Imagry and cognition Attn: Wendy

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
Vanessa Mellom (mellom)
Tue, 27 Jul 1999 16:57:33 -0400

--------------5629768A649F

Dear Wendy,

I found your reasearch very interesting so I shared your post from a
while ago with my frien Connie Noelle who is a art teacher in an
elementry school in NY. She is also very active with the NYS Art
Teachers Association. Here is her response which is very interesting.
I hope you reasearch is going well...

Vanessa

--------------5629768A649F

Date: Sun, 08 Aug 1999 00:56:08 -0400
From: Connie Noelle <connienp>
To: mellom
Subject: Re: Fwd: Imagry and cognition (Artsednet)

Dear Vanessa,
Could you forward this to Wendy?

Dear Wendy
I wonder what exactly you mean when you say the transitive effect has been
disproven time and again?
But mostly I agree with you.We really do need to present clearly our
objectives and scaffold the process to get kids to think about thinking.
Heuristics?
I am not surprised that you have had problems finding the part that says art
teachers get kids to think with art by improving their mental imaging, or
record and organize information and especially "next, we'll practice forming
an image in our mind from a description. this skill will help you remember
important data..."
Heck, it is an essential skill in transfering, transmitting remmembering
all kinds of data for the visual learner, any learner and espcial visual
data. Even in computing information is often sent or used in some kind of
graphics mode and nothing is more linear than a computer.
I have a friend, Dr. Ilka List who has recently did a study for her
doctorate that you should read. It is a scienticly arranged and proven
sample of the sort you are looking for. She proved that ourdoor experiences
significantly help students drawings. However I bet the outdoor experiences
including drawing etc. She taught these experiences in teat schools. IN
any event I bet Ilka can help you find more of them too. I can't find her
e-mail but she is doing some traveling and other work and may not be reading
it often this summer anyway.
Dr.Ilka List
427 Springtown Rd
New Paltz, NY 12561
914-334-8862

I was very sad to see that observation as an important term was lacking in
the New York State Arts Learning Standards. It has been argued that it is
understood within each of the four standards but I don't buy that. We just
goofed.

--------------5629768A649F--