Reply to Shawna

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
Lawrence A. Parker/OCCTI (occti)
Wed, 11 Aug 1999 09:29:47 -0400

This didn't seem to post the first time (at least I didn't receive a copy
from the list, although some lists don't echo the message back to the
sender).

----- Original Message -----
From: Lawrence A. Parker/OCCTI <occti>
To: <artsednet>
Sent: Tuesday, August 10, 1999 11:52 AM
Subject: Reply to Shawna

Shawna,

Perhaps we can be of help to each other.
I am applying for a position in Wisconsin (Burnett County) as a 4H Youth
Development Agent through the Univ. of Wisconsin. A part of the population
with which I'll be dealing are some St. Croix Indians. From what I've been
able to glean so far, the St. Croix may have (?) evolved from the Ojibwa
and/or Lakota Indian tribes. However, I can find fairly little information
on their history, and cultural development (past and present). Do you have
any information or could you direct me to some?

Not to only take, but to give as well, I can help you with your one
question about the difference between and idea and an issue. Simply put, an
idea is a concept, what we think of on a day-to-day level as a definition
(very simplistic). An issue on the other hand often arises in a conflict
between ideas or ideas and practices. For example, the question (or problem
or issue) of Christians engaging in war or self-defense in light of the
First Commandment of 'Thou shalt not kill.' With cultures

For your students, such issues would be significant questions and could
be used to both provoke and teach Critical Thinking Skills. This question,
for example, could also be personalized by asking students how they
themselves retain individual identity when confronted with group or peer
identity.

I hope that this sheds some light on your...issue. ;>)
I look forward to hearing from you on whatever information you might
have about the St. Croix, Ojibwa and/or Lakota Indians.

Best,
Larry Parker, Exec. Dir., The Ohio Center for Critical Thinking Instruction,
Inc. (OCCTI), Akron, Ohio

Addendum: On the St. Croix Indians, I did find information that they are an
offshoot of the Ojibwa or Chippewa Indians (the Lakota are apparently
Sioux). However, if you or anyone else have any additional or specific
information on the St. Croix of Wisconsin, I would appreciate it.
Thank you,
Larry Parker