Re: Curriculum

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
Bicyclken
Tue, 10 Aug 1999 21:25:37 EDT

In a message dated 8/10/99 5:33:11 AM Pacific Daylight Time, ioas
writes:

> I'm trying to find a curriculum that can be used as a foundation for a
> high school vocational Commercial Art & Advertising program

Hello, I am currently teaching a course in Commercial art that I feel is an
introduction to the many areas of the commercial/graphic art field. We do a
number of projects that touch on the different fields within a field and this
gives the student a chance to experience a little of these diverse things.

The curriculum covers:

1. Logo design and corporate imaging, letter head and envelopes are made and
presented on a display board to simulate a presentation of the work.

2. "Word" Illustration, that has them illustrate a word as if it were a
frontage piece for a magazine article.

3. Photoshop 5.0/ Iluustrator8.0/programs are taught with tutorials and
practical applications such as:
a. Magazine add
b. Newspaper add
c. Label for a bottle of juice or?
d. CD cover with inner liner notes and both front and back

4. Menu cover, with fold out sections

5. Package design with cardstock to replicate the box. We use airbrush and
computers to finish this.

6. They create their own Lettering font from scratch. Upper and lower case.

7. create a brochure for the end of the year show in June for the district
and it will be printed.

These are the assignments we are doing in the commercial art class and I hope
this will help you. We don't have textbooks but I have handouts that cover
all of these from research I have done and a few books from the book store
and Library.

Ken Schwab
San Jose CA