Re: Establishing -respect- in the artroom

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
Stacey Bernstein (staceyb)
Thu, 5 Aug 1999 16:42:31 -0700

I completely agree and jive with Linda K. on this one...

I'd describe my class room as a place where the "lenient" atmosphere is
completely(most often) in my control. I have had rare moments of
"discipline" problems... in fact I'd rather call them communication
problems... "classroom management" comes naturally to me or something...

I work to keep my room a place where everyone feels respected. It's a
blend of honoring individuality and maintaining healthy interactions as a
community.

Fourth quarter of last school year (98-99) was when I experienced the
highest frequency of behavior problems in my five years of teaching...
I've had to reflect on my approaches, seek the counsel of folks on staff
that provide the support and feedback I require, and I spoke with my
students about how conduct and behavior effect classroom atmosphere...

communication promotes respect, and consistency is crucial

-Stacey

At 9:09 AM -0400 8/4/99, Linda Kelty wrote:
>If the focus in an art room has to be so strongly on discipline, then there
>may be a deficit of engaged learning, either too much gets by the teacher,
>behavior wise, so that the kids feel the lenient atmosphere is in their
>control, not the teachers, or they are not challenged enough, or they are
>bored. The teacher prior to me left a notebook with student names,
>infractions, dates, and consequences. It was full. The kids didn't like
>art. The production was minimal. I think mutual respect works so much
>better. I usually set the rules at the beginning of the year, beginning
>with "OUR" responsibilities to one another, ourselves and our school. I
>tell them to hold me responsible for my behavior toward them also. I can
>count on one hand the number of times I've had to assign detentions or send
>someone out. Usually a "conscience and mutual respect" discussion in the
>hall takes care of it. The only time I show anger is when they are abusive
>of one another or the rest of us. I talk about fairness, justice,
>compassion, etc. and will not tolerate harassment of another person for any
>reason. We build on strength, not weakness, recognizing worth in one
>another. I believe it is my duty to help engender a generation of sensitive
>and aware people in my classroom. That comes first. No learning, no
>creativity, no thought occurs in a situation where survival and safety are
>the main concerns.
>Sorry if this sounds harsh, but I feel very strongly about this issue.
>Linda K.

"A work of art is above all an adventure of mind."
- Eugene Ionesco (1912 - 1994)