Re: Establishing discipline in the artroom

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
Linda Kelty (lckelty)
Wed, 4 Aug 1999 09:09:59 -0400

If the focus in an art room has to be so strongly on discipline, then there
may be a deficit of engaged learning, either too much gets by the teacher,
behavior wise, so that the kids feel the lenient atmosphere is in their
control, not the teachers, or they are not challenged enough, or they are
bored. The teacher prior to me left a notebook with student names,
infractions, dates, and consequences. It was full. The kids didn't like
art. The production was minimal. I think mutual respect works so much
better. I usually set the rules at the beginning of the year, beginning
with "OUR" responsibilities to one another, ourselves and our school. I
tell them to hold me responsible for my behavior toward them also. I can
count on one hand the number of times I've had to assign detentions or send
someone out. Usually a "conscience and mutual respect" discussion in the
hall takes care of it. The only time I show anger is when they are abusive
of one another or the rest of us. I talk about fairness, justice,
compassion, etc. and will not tolerate harassment of another person for any
reason. We build on strength, not weakness, recognizing worth in one
another. I believe it is my duty to help engender a generation of sensitive
and aware people in my classroom. That comes first. No learning, no
creativity, no thought occurs in a situation where survival and safety are
the main concerns.
Sorry if this sounds harsh, but I feel very strongly about this issue.
Linda K.