Gourd art

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
suzette milam (smilam)
Tue, 03 Aug 1999 19:36:08 +0000

Hi everyone,
S. Dowd asked about doing gourds with kids. I am well versed at this process.
I have given gourd workshops to a wide range of age groups for several years.
I grow them and specialize in them in my own work.

There are a number of good books out there to help you with the history of
gourds. My favorite is Ginger Summits "Gourd Craft". Write to the American
Gourd Society for a complete book list.

I want to stress working in a well ventilated area. Gourd dust can be harmful
to breath. Other than that they are a great project. I could go on forever
about them. If you have questions, shoot. I can tell you what ever you need to
know in this area.

Suzette

Date: Wed, 28 Jul 1999 18:50:22 EDT
From: Sdowd3656
Subject: Gourd Art

I teach grades 9-12 and am planning to introduce gourd art to my 3-4 year
students in 3-D art classes. Any advice, suggestions, successful projects
out there? There will be 18 of these upper level students in a class with
level two 3-D kids for a total of 33 students. The level two students will
be engaged in a different assignment. Thank you. S. Dowd.