Re: Artist / Art Educator

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
kprs (KPRS)
Mon, 02 Aug 1999 18:29:00 -0400

John
For the longest time I tried juggling many roles, artist, teacher, wife,
and felt guilty about not having time for each of them....then I woke up
and realized that I will always be an artist, teacher and wife, and should
try so hard at being perfect at all three....so I redirected my
"artistness" to other areas, and am having a great time...First of all I
discovered costuming for theater, and have costumed local theater
companies. I have worked both as a costumer, and currently just as a
member of a team under a costumer. We are working on summer "stock", but I
have also done smaller shows during the year. I have ventured into
puppetry as well, and have made puppets for human productions, and hope to
start a puppet 'troupe' with students in my highschool within the next 2
years. I have also been a member of a women's poetry group (although will
confess to my membership waning and waxing depending on my theater
involvement--hmmmm...did I mention I, on occasion, act?) I love the
'portability' of both of my new 'arts', I can do them at home, on the road,
waiting for a bus, etc...and am not tied down to a studio. ...per se. As
most people know I am also the yearbook adviser, and am able to take my
background in printing and graphic design and continue to learn new skills
while teaching the kids and producing a publication... Both theater and
poetry are 'product' based, in as much there will be a 'show' or a 'mini
magazine', but not as much as there is a gallery show...and both are self
satisfying with goals that I set, and are rarely noticed by others, which
is fine by me....I don't expect someone to notice that the costumes for
"Lion In Winter" were appropriate for the time, but I know they were, nor
do I expect the audience to notice the lineage and connection to characters
by the choice of colors, but I know...and I am pleased.

My students are amazed that "this old lady" is still excited about
setting aesthetic goals and reaching them, and I think that is what we
should be 'role modeling' to them, that art is forever, although the
'product' may be temporary.

San D