Re: Artist / Art Educator

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
Myrna Packard (myrnapac)
Mon, 2 Aug 1999 15:03:13 -0700 (PDT)

John,

Good to see you are able to juggle several balls in the world of higher
ed. I've found an ideal situation and pass it along to all.

I'm now teaching in a small, progressive, private, Catholic girl's
college in Milwaukee. I've incorporated my interest in crafts into
courses for both majors and non-majors (primarily ele. ed. majors) but
have begun branching out in other ways. We now have a group of
students, staff, and faculty who join in our commons for lunch and
knitting or crocheting every Tuesday at noon. In addition, there is a
group similar in make-up who meet once a month for lunch and quilting.
I've just begun teaching weaving again since I discovered some looms
buried under the nursing building. And I'm working on finding a
permanent space for a crafts center sort of on the same order as our
exercise room. Of course, all this means I'm busy doing my own stuff
at home two blocks from Lake Michigan on Milwaukee's trendy east side.

But wait, there's more. I've just put a line of bead work in the book
store here at Alverno. I'm not looking to make much of a profit, just
enough to afford to replenish my supply and a bit more for exotic
pieces I'll enter in the faculty biennial art show this year.

The beauty of this setting is that I'm valued first as a teacher, then
for the work I'm doing designing a new Integrated Arts curriculum for
our Master's Program. So you see, while people enjoy my other
contributions and support my work--there is no pressure to produce.
It's just up to me. No more guilt that I haven't been cranking out art
or research. And so I just keep cranking it out!!!

Such a difference from UW-M and OSU,

Myrna