Re: Artist / Art Educator

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
wduncan (wduncan)
Sun, 01 Aug 1999 12:25:30 -0500

Not very well. I'm looking forward to retirement in four years, and do
believe that if I painted on a year round, consistent basis that I would really
surprise myself. I believe that I do a fair job at teaching art but there is
never enough time to do it right. I do exhibit year round but seldom produce
except in the summer. Teaching gives you about half an income, and my objective
is to sell enough paintings to pay for frames. Lucky for me I have a wife to
support me who is understanding and has a real job with benefits like insurance
and such. I suspect there are other Artist/Teachers out there who make a
financial success of both endeavors. Most of us who use that dual title do so
because we believe strongly that to teach you must also "do". It's the reverse
of the old adage. When students find out that I paint, exhibit and know real
artists they seem amazed. I tell them that Their Math teacher hangs out with
mathematicians on the weekends and contemplate chaos theory. I tell them that
the science teacher is looking for new comets and that the english teachers
write poetry. You know, It's too bad they don't.

Woody in Kansas City

Wizzlewolf wrote:

> I am currently doing research and collecting data regarding the triumphs and
> tribulations of those individuals who juggle two careers: Artist AND Art
> educator. --

the new URL for school is http://kancrn.kckps.k12.ks.us/user04
http://www.taospaint.com/NineMonths.html
http://kancrn.kckps.k12.ks.us/user04/art.self.htm