Re: Art awards

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
Sheryl Ann McCoy (smccoy)
Sun, 30 Aug 1998 09:00:06 -0700

Leah:
Seems to me that middle school students, historically through their development, are more comfortably collaborative than competitive.
If I was pressed, I would gear my awards to complement that aspect of the student's emotional development.
There is ANOTHER, more positive (I think) way you could have awards for your students from regional or national activity participation, such as, the ones that NASA AND NSTA (National Science Teachers Association) cosponsor. There are several creative contests where all participants receive a certificate of acknowledgement.

A fellow teacher and I participated in this with third grade classes. The program is called SSIP(Space Science Student Involvement Program). It is intended for students 3-5, plus there are others. I am including the NSTA web address, and you can also look at the NASA homepage for information.
Link address: http://www.nsta.org/programs/ssip.shtml

Check with your state's math organization, they may sponsor some similar "contests". I always check to see if children get a certificate first. The KATM (Kansas Association of Teachers of Mathematics) sponsors two related to Art: Math 'n Art and Tesselations, so you probably can get hooked into a similar activity in your state.
Hope this helps,
Sheryl