Re: Mandalas-web site found / Questions / Concerns

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
Maggie White (mwhite)
Sat, 29 Aug 1998 12:34:32 -0700

Juncture wrote:
<snip>
> Has anyone done a lesson on Mandalas / Had any backlash from doing them / How
> was it approached / Any advice / Reccomendations?
> There is Question as to how a parent would know about them but all the Hari
> Krishna
> fears parents have of their kids shaving their heads & frequenting airports
> with flowers etc
> gives me pause.

Hi, Juncture (how about including a name we can address you by?),

With potentially troublesome material (troublesome more to parents than
kids, you know), I try to integrate as many different cultures as
possible, including Western, to show the universality of certain objects
or motifs.

And no, no matter how much a parent squawks, merely seeing or making a
mandala for a couple of weeks is going to influence a kid to the point
s/he rejects baggy pants and platform sneakers ;) I feel very strongly
that we _should_ expose our students to a variety of cultures and
beliefs; not to convert anyone, but help the students understand that the
world is a big place, with room enough for many belief systems.

Maggie