Re: Open House

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
John & Sandra Barrick (astroboy)
Fri, 28 Aug 1998 16:11:09 -0400

We have done this but it's been years,my question is are they going
to collect something and bring it back(like an object)? Or do they
just find the answer to an art or artist or culture? In other
words,you could have them find tessellation pieces which would fit
together like a puzzle and make a giant tessellation. This also
incorporates math and art(M.C.Escher). So the answer would be Escher
and the activity would be tessellation. Another artist is Bev
Doolittle,her work is camouflage painting. Animals and Indians are
her primary subject matter and she hides the subject in their
natural surroundings. You could display a large color/BW
reproduction and have them find the clues for this artist.
Another idea would be conceptual,have a ladder in the room with
a magnifying glass on top. With an artist name on the wall in very
small type(or a culture) similar to a Yoko Ono performance.
Then whatever artist is listed on the wall(there could be several),
have
a handout on them an an activity for the artist. i.e. Africa-mask
making
Have maybe 4 words on the wall,with either ladders,step stools or
magnifying glass hung on the wall next to it. Whatever word they
get,they will have to do the activity that corresponds with it to
receive the name for the scavenger hunt. i.e. Africa (above),
Escher-Tesselation, Picasso-cubist/geometric shape picture,something
from another medium. Limit yourself to 2 to 4 tables and artists.

Off the top of my head I know,but keep me posted.
Sandra