re: how to display work

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
taylorh (taylorh)
Fri, 28 Aug 1998 11:14:07 -0700 (MST)

On Fri, 28 Aug 1998, freckles spots wrote:

> The only problem with this is the time. When I only see my students (in
> elementary) for 45 minutes a week...it seems like a waste to mount EVERY
> piece of work. I do have my older students mount projects they worked
> very hard on...but some lessons for my youngers students are focused on
> the "process" more than the "end product"....
>
> Judy in OK

You know, as an artist myself I have to deal with mounting most of my own
work. There is an art to it and perhaps one that would not be lost on our
students -just like clean-up.

As a teacher I could incorporate a lesson on mounting art with many of the
projects, I could set it up too as a challenge to creativity -as my budget
is not a large one- finally it could be seen as a professional issue and I
could assign mounting the same as any other task to a rotating student or
team in the classroom. That wouldn't be the most convenient approach I
suspect.

Judy's point is a good one. NOT all exercises are final or finalizable
projects - just points along the way. Those, obviously wouldn't need
display treatment. Do we always distinguish such 'exercises' as such? I've
noticed that a lot of younger kids have trouble with such distinctions
mand tend to treat little if anything as prologue, as insignificant work
along the way to a conceived goal.

Maybe I should be labeling some exercises: "things to try-out a few times
and then throw away!"

:)
-henry