Re: artsednet-digest V2 #899

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
nancy senn-kerbs (fmuseumnancy)
Fri, 28 Aug 1998 09:32:46 PDT

>From owner-artsednet-digest-outgoing.edu Thu Aug 27
04:53:53 1998
>Date: Thu, 27 Aug 1998 02:53:32 -0700 (PDT)
>From: owner-artsednet-digest (artsednet-digest)
>To: artsednet-digest.edu
>Subject: artsednet-digest V2 #899
>Sender: owner-artsednet-digest
>

>artsednet-digest Thursday, August 27 1998 Volume 02 :
Number 899

> [...]
>Who does more then babysit in Kansas
>

>At 02:18 PM 8/26/98 -0400, you wrote:
>>Don't have time to check to see if this has been shared before. It's
>>always good to read it again, anyway. How many kids to you have per
>>class and teach per day?
>>

>>TEACHERS GET PAID TOO MUCH
>>
>>I'm fed up with teachers and their hefty salary schedules. What we
need
>>here is a little perspective. If I had my way, I'd pay these teachers
>>myself...I'd pay them babysitting wages. That's right...instead of
>>paying these outrageous taxes, I'd give them $3.00 an hour out of my
own
>>pocket. And, I'm only going to pay them for five hours, not coffee
>>breaks disguised as planning times. That would be $15.00 a day. Each
>>parent should pay $15.00 a day for these teachers to babysit their
>>children. Even if they have more than one child, it's still cheaper
>>than private daycare. Now how many children do they teach a day -
maybe
>>twenty? That's $15.00 x 20 = $300.00 a day. But remember, they only
>>work 180 days a year! I'm not going to pay them for all those
>>vacations. $300 x 180 = $54,000. (Just a minute, I think my
calculator
>>needs batteries.)
>>I know you teachers will say what about those who have ten years of
>>experience and a master's degree? Well, maybe (just to be fair) the
>>teachers could get the minimum wage, and instead of just babysitting,
>>they
>>could read the kids a story. We can round that off to about $5.00 an
>>hour,
>>times five hours, times twenty children. $5.00 x 5 x 20. That's $500
>>day
>>times 180 days. That's $90,000.
>>HUH???? Wait a minute! Let's get a little perspective here.
>>Babysitting
>>wages are too good for those teachers. Did anyone see a salary
schedule
>>around here?
>>

>------------------------------
>
>Date: Wed, 26 Aug 1998 21:02:11 EDT
>From: ABRDR
>Subject: Re: artsednet-digest V2 #872
>
>In a message dated 8/4/98 8:53:29 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
owner-artsednet-
>digest.edu writes:
>
><< Subject: (no subject)
>
> Hiya, Artnetters--
> Anyone out there have a neat activity connecting Drama & Art? I
thought of
> making masks--can anyone think of uses for the masks and tying it to
drama?
> Thanks in advance !
> Bluestruth
> >>
>Sorry for the late reply, but I have been to China. I bought some
wonderful
>shadow puppets. They were beautiful, made from donkey hide and
painted. They
>had wonderful intricate design. Perhaps that would be a was to connect
Drama
> [...]
>to the core of schooling.
>
>"Art Education at the Millennium: A critical convergence" explores the
>five key factors in this convergence: 1) goals and standards, 2)
>discipline-based art education theory, 3) postmodern perspectives, 4)
>constructivist teaching, and 5)computer technology.
>
>Below is a description of our review process and a reviewer profile
>form. If you are interested in reviewing for Corwin, please complete
>the profile and email to patrick_clark or
>pdccorwin.
>
>TO: Prospective Manuscript Reviewers
>
>FROM: Patrick D. Clark, M.L.I.S.
>Assistant to the Director of Editorial Acquisitions
>Corwin Press, Inc.
>2455 Teller Road
>Thousand Oaks, CA 91360
>

>Corwin Press, Inc., a subsidiary of Sage Publications, specializes in
>books and journals for professionals in the field of education. Our
>mission is to offer practical, hands-on resources to help
>professionals involved in K-12 and early childhood education do their
>jobs better -- and, in the process, help advance the field and improve
>education for everyone.
>
>We regularly receive manuscripts for consideration and are currently
>looking for knowledgeable people in a variety of fields to read and
>review them. These reviewer comments are most helpful in providing
>feedback to authors in order to strengthen manuscripts and produce the
>best possible book.
>
>If you would be interested in reviewing manuscripts, we would like to
>talk to you about your areas of interest. Corwin Press invites
>reviewers to select 2-7 complimentary books (depending on the project)
>from our catalog, upon receipt of the review.
>
>Corwin Press has proposals and manuscripts reviewed prior to
>publication. If you would be willing to be a reviewer, please
>complete this form and email to patrick_clark or
>pdccorwin.
>

>REVIEWER PROFILE
>

>NAME:__Nancy Senn TITLE:Program manager
>
>AFFILIATION:Family Museumof Arts and Science>
>Please indicate whether this is the affiliation address or your home
>address. office - 2900 Learning Campus Drive, Bettendorf, IA 52722
>Any review materials will be sent to this address, unless otherwise
>indicated.
>

>PHONE:(day)_319-344-4166 (evening) 319-359-5668
>
>E-MAIL:fmuseumnancy
>
>FAX319-344-4164
>

>LEVELS OF INTEREST
>
>x_______early childhood education/pre-K through grade 3
>_x______K-6
>__x_____middle grades (grades 5 - 9)
>___x____grades 7 - 12
>_______2 - 4 year college
>_______post-graduate
>

>Please include areas of specialization, courses you have taught,
>subjects you are best versed in and able to teach, or area(s) of
>emphasis. Without this information, it will be hard to pinpoint those
>manuscripts that will be most relevant within the context of your

In Service Classroom Teachers - Art Across the Curriculum
> Integrated Thematics
> Art& Multiple
Intelligences

>I currently supervise the curriculm of some 15 museum teachers and
exhibits designers in visual arts, dance and other performing arts,
pre-school literature/drama, cultural arts and arts/sciences
connections. I am also managing one of four development sites
(ZoomZones) with WGBH (Public Broadcast) in Boston who will revive a
program called "ZOOM" in Jan. 1999. It is for, by and about
kids...participants on the Zoom Teams 10 to 14, active audience 7 to 12.
It will focus on arts, science and math. My portion of that is to find
connections between and among the arts/math/science in presenting
various challenges to youngsters here. These, in turn, may be tried by
other development ZoomZones and/or tried with the "on air" students as
part of the broadcasts.

>I am also working with a pilot project called the "SmART" school which
is now in it's third year and ready to find new assessment tools to
evaluate the impact of teaching arts across the curriculm on student
math, reading and communications skills AND the impact of the in-service
arts training on classroom teachers.
>Any manuscripts you may have on this subject could prove mutually
beneficial I believe. I am assuming mutual benefit is not out of the
question? Thanks Nancy

> [...]
> ______discourse modes
> ______literary criticism
>
>The following can be viewed within the context of Art Education,
>understanding that some areas may not apply.
>
>x_______assessment/evaluation
> x _______programs
> x _______personnel
> _______course evaluation
>x _______curriculum evaluation
> _______evaluation methods
> x _______student progress
> _______needs assessment
>x _______student evaluation
> _______student teacher evaluation
>x _______teacher/staff evaluation
> x _______writing/reading evaluation
> _______testing and testing methods
>x _______preschool evaluation
> x _______vocational evaluation
> _______computer software/technology based teaching aids/courseware
>evaluation
>
>x_______Early Childhood Education
> x _______curriculum activities (development of)
> x _______early intervention
> _______instructional methods
>
>_______bilingualism/multilingualism
> _______second language instruction
> _______English as a second language
> _______limited English speakers
> _______educational policy
> _______bilingual instructional materials
> _______immersion programs
>x _______multicultural education
> _______Sociolinguistics
>
>x_______character education
>
>_______community/parent relations
> ________school community programs
> ________school family relationship
>
>_______counseling
> ________behavior modification
> ________crisis intervention
> ________teachers as counselors
> ________adjustment (to environment)
> ________counseling techniques
> ________counselor characteristics
> ________career counseling
> ________educational counseling
>
>x_______curriculum development/design/improvement
>
>_______discipline/classroom management
>
>_______instruction
> ________instructional design/development
> ________instructional materials (textbooks, lab manuals, etc)
> ________courseware/use of technology
>
>_______principalship/leadership/administration
>
>_______professional development
>
>x_______school reform/restructuring
>
>_______special needs
>
>x_______teachers: leadership/retention/education
>
>_______urban education
>
>_______vocational
>
>x_______school-to-work/education work relationship
>

>==
>Patrick D. Clark
>pdccorwin
>Assistant to the Director of Editorial Acquisitions
>Corwin Press, Inc.
>A Sage Publications Company
>2455 Teller Road
>Thousand Oaks, CA 91320-2218
>
>------------------------------
>
>Date: Wed, 26 Aug 1998 20:52:40 -0500
>From: Melissa Chaney <meemo>
>Subject: Open House
>
>For our Open House night our faculty has arranged a scavenger hunt.
The
>kids go from class to class with their parents looking for answers to
>questions. The questions have to do with the different subjects
>taught. Well I need an idea for a question. My mind is a blank. I
>teach middle school art and can't seem to think of anything cool. It
>would be nice if the question led to a small activity. Does anyone
have
>any ideas or has anyone done anything like this before?
>
>Melissa Chaney
>6th Grade Art
>Ray-Pec Schools
>Raymore, Missouri
>
>------------------------------
>
>Date: Wed, 26 Aug 1998 22:29:24 EDT
>From: Bicyclken
>Subject: Re: Original work or Plagarism?
>
>I agree that to copy from any artist is wrong however there is an
exception
>that I make in my Art 4 class. We do a unit with Impressionism in
which the
>students study the period, find a favorite artist and write a short
report on
>a particular painting.
>
>In the report they describe the stlye of painting, strokes used, colors
>subject matter etc., then they are asked to create the next painting of
that
>artist using Craypas (oil pastels). This next painting sometimes finds
them
>taking parts of many different paintings and creating another
landscape, or
>horse race, lilly pond, or still life.
>They create a new composition but they use the subject matter of the
artist.

>This is copying with a purpose of creating a new picture with common
>resources. This kind of copying I feel lets them explore the stlye the
artist
>but they have to recreate his/her world with their own subject matter.
I may
> [...]
>
>Intaglio is an etched surface that has grooves or lines that are lower
that
>the surface. Ink (etchiing) os rubbbed into the lines with a
dauber(pad) and
>then wiped clean with a series of steps untill the smooth surface is
clean but
>the incised lines are still filled with ink. The paper is soaked and
blotted
>and laid in a press and with felts is passed through the press and the
paper
>is forced into the lines. The result is a clean line print.
>
>Collagraph is a relief of found and created sufaces that can be very
thin and
>delicate, such as sand, tinfoil, paper, doilies,gesso lines,
>string,leaves,etc. These materials are glued to a beveled board and
then
>gesso, glue and shellac are applied to give strength and to be water
tight.
>The process of inking is like the etching,by removing ink to create
light
>areas. With a press the paper is forced into the low areas and an
image will
>be there with embossed areas as well.
>
>These are breif descriptions, there are some fine books on all these
>techniques that show you how to do it and with some experimentation
with the
>press you will be in business.
>
>Ken Schwab
>Leigh H.S.
>San Jose, CA
>
>------------------------------
>
>Date: Wed, 26 Aug 1998 21:15:57 -0700 (PDT)
>From: carla schiller <charwitt.us>
>Subject: Re: Competitions:Scholastics-my exprnce
>
>Thanks for sharing, Maria.
>
>Carla Schiller, Esq.
>Teacher, Highly Gifted Magnet
>North Hollywood High School, CA
>e-mail: charwitt.us
>webpage index: http://lausd.k12.ca.us/~charwitt/index.html
>*************************************************************************************
>"When you know a thing, to hold that you know it; and when you do not
>know a thing, to allow that you do not know it--this is knowledge."
>- --Kongzi (Confucius)
>*************************************************************************************
>

>On Wed, 26 Aug 1998 GFamiglia wrote:
>
>> I'd like to share my bad high school/student teaching experience in
hopes that
>> others avoid this teaching scenario.
>>
>> As a student, I was a very talented young artist. My skill was high,
yet I was
>> intimidated by new media and being around other students who were
"artsy". My
>> creativity was lacking--I could draw anything from a picture, then
mix some
>> creativity in and it exhibited high craftsmanship. Everyone raved.
>>
>> I was put into a A.P.-advanced placement class, and was dumbfounded.
All
>> these "artsy" kids were doing unusual projects-ink blowing, air
brushing,
>> painting, etc. I sat there and had no idea what I was doing. I was
used to
>> assignments, and here we were our own bosses. I come from an
Italian-catholic