Re: (no subject)

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
freckles spots (freckles_spot)
Fri, 28 Aug 1998 05:33:38 PDT

For Johnny Appleseed, we did the Apple Tree in all four seasons.

First I took a sheet of 12 x 18 manilla paper....and cut it to 6 x 18.

Then the students fold the paper in half twice...making 4 almost
squares. (this is where I really wish I could draw it to explain it.)

at the top of each square, have the students write the
seasons...starting with Spring....etc...

then, have them draw the trunk and limbs of a simple tree. I have done
this many different ways. One was to cut it out of brown
paper....another way is to paint it with watercolors.

Next, discuss how the tree would look different each season...the color
of the leaves, the blossoms, the apples, and how the ground would look
also. Using watercolor paints, demo how to "dab" paint to look like
leaves and apples, demo how to make lines for the grass.

Example: Spring....yellow green leaves, white blossoms, green
grass...and maybe some flowers around the tree.

Summer...dark green leaves, light green apples, dark green grass, maybe
toys for summer.

Fall....orange, red, yellow leaves, red or green apples, brown
grass...fall items in the grass.

Winter...no leaves or apples, but snow on the branches, snow on the
ground and maybe a snowman...or snow-woman.

The kids enjoyed this project and it taught them: that the branches on
the tree never really change....how the tree changes for the
seasons...how to make different lines and shapes with the watercolors.

Enjoy
Judy in OK

>From: BluesTruth
>Date: Thu, 27 Aug 1998 22:43:27 EDT
>To: ArtsEdNet <artsednet.edu>
>Cc: BluesTruth
>Subject: (no subject)
>
>I have TWO questions, artnetters!
>Has anyone completed a really successful art proj. for the FIRST grade
on
>"Johnnie
>Appleseed?" Drawing apples sounds boring to me. Any neat ideas out
there?
>Also, I'd like to introduce the great African Amer. artist Jacob
Lawrence to
>my third graders. Anyone have a neat art proj. to connect with
Lawrence's