Re: Competitions: Scholastics

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
amanda clarke (clarkea@s-cwis.unomaha.edu)
Wed, 26 Aug 1998 14:55:56 -0500 (CDT)

I am not sure if this is the information you are requesting, but I think
all will benefit from it.

Last semester, my Prof volunteered my art methods class to help out with
the competition. We were responsible for repacking the artworks after
judging.

We were lucky enough to see what really happens as the works are being
judged. My Prof was one of the judges. Each work was looked at BRIEFLY,
and I mean brief. Many works were passed off quickly, mere seconds.
Think of it like looking at a resume for a job. I was stunned at how
quickly they were able to determine if a work was "acceptable" or not.
There were a total of three judges.

This is some information I committed to my own personal memory:

When preparing student'd work for judging, treat it as you would for your
own personal gallery show. Some of the works were poorly handled, with
finger prints and marks. The works that were matted looked better than
those that were not.

Realistic renditions of people and animals need to be done exceptionally
well, pay close attention to the composition and arrangement.

When packing up student works, once again pack them as you would your own.
Some of the packing jobs were poor at best.

Take this opportunity to TEACH your students about the career of a
Professional artist. Teach them about exhibitions, presenting your works,
and professionalism. Most of the studens who are serious about art will
benefit from this information, while others may come to appriciate artists
and their jobs a little more.

If you ever get the opportunity to help out during a Scholastics show, do
it will open your eyes.

Amanda Clarke
clarkea@s-cwis.unomaha.edu