Re: awards/rewards

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
Litesal (Litesal)
Wed, 26 Aug 1998 09:54:22 -0400

-----Original Message-----
From: BluesTruth <BluesTruth>
To: Litesal <Litesal>
Cc: BluesTruth <BluesTruth>
Date: Thursday, August 20, 1998 8:31 PM
Subject: Re: awards/rewards

>Leah-
>Do you see the kindergarteners? My principal wants me to teach them this
year.
>It's been awhile since I've done that. Do you have any successful
projects?
>I appreciate your generous help. Thanks very much.
>Bluestruth (Jill)

Dear Jill and All,

I'd like to share three of my favorite k activities....I will explain
briefly, then if you want more info. let me know.

1) The element game: I got this idea from Mona Brooks' "Drawing with
Children." It helps with listening skills, line, shape and color
recognition, fine motor skills and painting. Simply issue verbal
instructions such as, "Paint a black, curvy line that goes from the top edge
of the paper, to the bottom edge of the paper.....make three black circles,
anywhere on the page....paint one circle red..." You get the idea. It's
also a way to show them that they can be creative AND follow
directions...since all the work turns out differently. Any media can be
used.

2) Printmaking: We discuss what printmaking is, and what pattern is. Look
at artists who use pattern in their work, like Matisse. Then we use found
objects, film containers, spools, cardboard, etc. to make printed pattern
designs.

3) Landscape silhouettes: We look at landscapes (Van Gogh, can't think of
the other tree prints I have right now) discuss atmospheric perspective,
study trees...then we watercolor a sky and mountains....we let that dry,
then paint a black silhouette of a tree, and anything else we want in the
composition. As always we discuss what can make a pleasing composition.

Sincerely, Leah