Re: Original work

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
Litesal (Litesal)
Wed, 26 Aug 1998 09:22:34 -0400

-----Original Message-----
From: gregjuli <gregjuli>
To: artsednet.edu <artsednet.edu>
Date: Tuesday, August 25, 1998 9:02 PM
Subject: Original work

Dear Colleagues,

I feel "sampling" is a post-modern phenomenon, and it's a legitimate form of
art making. For example, look at Rauschenberg and Warhol who quite
literally copy from the mass media to make their statements. For my recent
thesis painting exhibition, I used images from art history, mass media, and
my own photographs as sources for the imagery in my paintings. I guess what
I'm saying is, I feel "borrowing" images is legitimate, as long as there is
a purpose to their use, a concept that using the images supports. I do take
issue with a student borrowing the image and concept, as is, and calling it
their own.

Sincerely, Leah