Re: Painting Windows

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
gregjuli
Mon, 24 Aug 1998 18:28:05 -0500

Jerry & Anne Carman-Hendel wrote:

> A classroom teacher has a room with windows that look out at a lovely
> brick wall. She wants paint the windows at different times through the
> year. Apparently, the last time she used tempera, it was rather runny. Any
> methods for thickening up the paint for temporary window paintings?
> Thank you!
>
> Anne C-H in the Illinois cornfields

Hi Anne and all,
Jazz tempera paints look nice on windows. There is also a window prep
that is sold by the company that makes Jazz temperas to wash the window with
before you put on the paint. It suppose to make the removal of the paints
easier. I've tried it on a small window. It worked out pretty good.
There is also a recipe in a book called Paint by Kim Solga that gives a recipe
for using temperas on windows. I've used it with 5th graders when we did
Frank Lloyd Wright designs on school windows. We had a lot of cracking of the
paint with the Solga recipe. Maybe it was the temperature of the windows
because it was winter.
MaryB