Re: need some creative suggestions.....

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
Maggie White (mwhite)
Tue, 18 Aug 1998 06:38:49 -0700

Bunki Kramer wrote:

> In a moment of sheer lunacy or whimsy (I don't know which), I bought 36
> life-sized styrofoam heads with necks for my advanced 8th grade art class. <snip>
> Does anyone have any creative solutions to using these heads in a novel way
> (other than taking 'em back to the store)?

Hi, Bunki,

As a departure from making masks, I've had my students make hats which
express something about themselves--I had one Styro head, and would've
killed for more.

They started with a sketch, then taped a 2" band of old file folder
around their heads to fit. The bands were placed on the Styro heads as
they worked for support. It was a fun assignment because they had to
solve all sorts of engineering problems. And of course, this makes the
heads reusable.

My favorite was made by an EMH student, who made a pizza hat: a big
cardboard disk, paper pulp for the crust, film can lids colored red with
markers for pepperoni (surprisingly lifelike); I can't remember what he
used for cheese, but the thing really did look like a pizza. And he let
me take a picture of him with it on.

Maggie