Re: It's About TIME Unit

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
wendy sauls (wsauls)
Mon, 17 Aug 1998 18:14:02

At 03:07 PM 8/17/98 -0500, Janine A. Lee wrote:

> Hello All,
>
> The 4/5 grades in my middle school will be doing a unit in September titled
> "It's About Time". They intend to look at various methods of time keeping
> over history like the sundial, clock, mayan calendar, etc. I'm not sure
> what I should with this theme in my art classes. One idea I have is to do a
> photography unit and focus the passage of time as the subject matter and
> then experiment with how time effects the development process.
>
> Any creative ideas that you have would be a big help! Feel free to email me
> privately or through the list.
>
>Thanks!

how about making some scuptures which have sundial like effects? i know
there are contemporary sculptors who do this, i will try to think of
specifically who. also, i thought of monet's haystacks and cathedral
paintings done at different times of the day. and what about australian
aborigine dream time paintings? and of course, dali's melting clocks. you
could do rube goldberg type machines to keep track of time, or make
machines for time travel! and you could look at and record natural
processes like ice melting or seeds sprouting...

:) wendy
Wendy Sauls
Art Teacher, Kanapaha Middle School, Gainesville, FL
Doctoral Student, Art Education, Florida State University
wsauls
home page: http://grove.ufl.edu/~c4930cqs/home.html