From: San D Hasselman <kprs>
To: ArtAltman
Cc: "" <>
Subject: Re: teaching art appreciation to high school freshmen
Date: Sat, Aug 15, 1998, 5:38 PM

Students will always try to take the easy way out when it comes to giving
"reports": That is why I avoid that type of activity. In the past I have
to "contemporize" their research by having them do a variety of things. I
had a class (not an art apreaciation class, but a diversity studies english
but I think this would work for you), do research and actually "assume" the
identity of the person (in your case an artist), and then thrown all the
in a situation where they would have to take their knowledge of that person
use it in the conversation. For example, I had one student act as a cab
driver (we
borrowed a car prop from the set of Grease and repainted it to look like a
checkered cab), and then the 'characters would get in and out and hold
conversations. These kids actually got into the cab thing so much that they
brought in food that their characters would eat, and munched on it....and
about that as know Cezanne eating apples in the back of a yellow
The kids had to cover a specific set of agreed upon facts, and the
'audience' had
to write down what they learned about the essentially
everyone is
involved. Another time I had the characters do a roundtable discussion on a
specific issue they would be affected by....perhaps the use of color
(impressionists vs. expressionists). I have also had my students write
one character to another, again concentrating on prearranged issues, and

What we, as teachers, need to do with kids, I think is show them that
learning is
not an isolated event, like a report. That learning and information can be
and is part of who we are as human beings on this journey. I know that
corny, but for me I learn best when it makes sense, is fun and tastes good!

San D