Re: Teaching on the wheel

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
Maggie White (mwhite)
Sat, 15 Aug 1998 11:00:20 -0700

gjmoore wrote:
<snip>
> Anyway...my problem now is...which students will get to use the wheel? I
> teach K-5 and have 700 students. <snip>
> How can I narrow it down?

Glenda,

I always test drive a new unit on my best class before using it in other
classes. Would it be possible for you to do the same? You don't have to
make a big deal out of which class you choose; maybe you have a special
rapport with one of the teachers. I wouldn't advertise the fact you're
doing something different with one class, but if other teachers comment
or complain, just explain you are trying something new and are just
experimenting or wanting to perfect it before doing it with the rest of
the classes.

In my 3D class, anyone who wants to try the wheel may do so for half the
period (45 min.). Once they see the amount of work and practice it
takes--as you now know--many prefer to go back to handbuilt. The few who
want to continue must commit to completing one pot; and as long as it's
reasonably lightweight and we can get it off the wheel, it counts
(Reatha, remember Formo's letting you keep your "precious pot?"). Any
who wish to be excused from the handbuilt assignments to work on the
wheel must commit to 3-4 pots, each being an improvement over the first
one.

Good luck, and let us know how it goes.

Maggie