Re: high school drawing lessons

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
Litesal (Litesal)
Sat, 15 Aug 1998 10:15:12 -0400

------=_NextPart_000_004A_01BDC835.96ABB820

Dear Laura and all,

Here is a drawing lesson I learned in college, then taught in high =
school with great success. It's a 3-D effect (you could talk about =
op-art), very realistic (you could tie in photo realism) drawing of =
objects.
The use and effect of color, and composition will be important =
components of this lesson.

I approached it as a "self-portrait". Students brought in an assortment =
of small objects that said something about who they are. If a student =
failed to bring stuff in, they used things from their bookbags, purses, =
wallets, and from the art room. It's up to you how you build this up, =
supplement, and practice for the final product.

Process: First the student chooses a background color, preferably =
acrylic paint, it should not be a really light color like yellow. Then =
he/she paints (I used 18x24) a good quality piece of paper with color =
straight from the tube (meaning not mixed, unless they need to mix a =
secondary color) no white. While that is drying, mix the background =
color of paint with enough white to just noticably tint the color. You =
will eventually do this two more times for a total of 3 times, =
consecutively getting lighter. Mix with enough water so that the paint =
can "spatter" (have students with the same color background, work in =
groups to save paint and containers).

Next, place the chosen objects on the dried backgroung in a pleasing =
composition (the next part is messy, take the necessary precautions, =
also, objects need to be something they can wash, or don't mind paint =
on). Using a toothbrush, spatter the tinted paint over the objects, =
onto the paper (have students practice, because the spattering technique =
is difficult, and you don't want big globs) going from the darkest tint, =
to the lightest, each layer should be densely spattered, but the =
background should still show through.

Allow to dry, and remove the objects, you will have a negative shape of =
each object, carefully paint these negative shapes with white gesso. =
Using the objects for meticulous observation, use paint along with any =
other media that will work on gesso (like colored pencil), to render =
each object as realistically as possible, remind them they are viewing =
the objects from the top. Here's a good time to discuss shading and =
highlights, which will be key to success of this work.

The spattered background really makes the objects look 3-D, the =
students were amazed and pleased. BTW, one of my students won a =
competition with his painting/drawing. It may sound gimmicky, but it =
looks impressive, and student's seem to appreciate the achievement of =
realistic looking work.

I hope someone can use this!
Sincerely, Leah