Re: colonial arts/crafts

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
freckles spots (freckles_spot)
Fri, 14 Aug 1998 13:40:33 PDT

When our 5th graders were studing Colonial times, their classroom
teacher did a wonderful project with them. They made punched tin candle
holders. Let me explain:

You will need to collect coffee tins for each student. He did the big
ones, but you could use small ones also. Fill them with water and place
them in your cafeteria's freezer to freeze.

While they are freezing, have the students work on a punch design. Show
them examples of punch art. You might even have some designs they could
look or even copy....parts of the design. Have them do this on grid
paper so they know where to "punch" in the hole.

When the cans are frozen, take them out. Tape the design paper around
the can. Give each child a hammer and a ten penny nail. Tell them to
"punch" the hole clear into the ice. You may want to work in groups so
the ice wont melt on them.

After the ice has melted, place a candle inside the can. The tins look
beautiful no matter how the students designs looked.

I hope this isn't too confusing. If it is, let me know.
Judy in Oklahoma