Re: beginning premises

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
suzette milam (smilam)
Tue, 11 Aug 1998 07:25:26 +0000

Ken and Chris wrote:

> beginning premises: (for students on the first day of class)
> 1. a large part of the content of this class is information you (the
> student) all ready know. the energy you use to turn your personal
> experiences into images will have much to do with the quality of your
> artwork.
> 2. ideas?
>

> beginning premises: (for teachers)
> 1. there are two ways for a hitter to get the pitch he/she wants.
> the simplest way is not to want any pitch in particular, but the best
> way is to want the very pitch you're going to get.
> 2. ideas?

Ken and Chris,

This is an intriguing concept. When you ask kids for ideas after presenting
this to them the first day, do you get much response? Brainstorming in the
first week is difficult for me, because we haven't built up that sense of
safety yet.

The teacher portion is also great. It makes me think of the divergent thinking
test. I love this activity because it helps the kids see that we all process
information differently and that we can all learn from each other (called
hitchhiking). Your question methods would be a great lead in to this activity.

BTW: Could you enlarge your font size? The text tends to blend together. It is
difficult to read your posts. Suzette