Re: decorating

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
michelle hardison (mmhar)
Mon, 10 Aug 1998 21:13:10 PDT

Date: Mon, 10 Aug 1998 20:46:38 -0500
From: Melissa Chaney <meemo>
To: "artsednet" <artsednet.edu>
Subject: decorating

As I walk down the halls at school I really enjoy seeing how other
teachers decorate their classrooms for the beginning of school. I have
seen a jungle, outer space and a camp as themes. What kinds of things
do you do to decorate your art room?

Melissa

I begin the school year(and each semester) with a small unit called "Art
in your World." When my middle school students walk in the door the
first day, I hand them an index card with a country at the top of it.
This is their seating assignment. Each table has a paper mailbox with a
country on it. I get them to write important info on the card and try to
remember their names by the country. The first couple of lessons focuses
on the country where they are sitting at.
The room is decorated with art from many non-Western cultures around the
world. I usually through a huge world map on the bulletin board until
students' work can be put up.

Michelle Hardison Harrell