Re: Fees

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
Maggie White (mwhite)
Mon, 10 Aug 1998 19:59:10 -0700

RWilk85411 wrote:

> In our district it has been decided that it is illegal to charge students any
> kind of fees. We can't even charge the fees that we charged all students at
> the beginning of the year. <snip>

There used to be a fee for art and carpentry at my HS, but it was
declared illegal, also. The reason was that the majority of the students
are eligible for free breakfasts and lunches, so the poor dears
apparently can't be expected to pay for anything. We can't even require
them to keep a notebook or sketchbook unless we order it and give it to
them. I'm sure there are a few students whose families genuinely can't
afford school supplies, but when I see all the money being poured into
the vending machines in school, and all the food they would buy at lunch
when they could go off-campus, it makes me pretty mad...

Sorry for the rant, guys.

Maggie