Re: Medieval Art

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
Maggie White (mwhite)
Mon, 10 Aug 1998 19:40:46 -0700

Jerry & Anne Carman-Hendel wrote:

> I have been developing some ideas for projects involving medieval art. I
> would appreciate hearing about your projects for grades 1-5 or projects
> that could be modified for the el. level. Also, about resources---videos,
> books, etc.---that you have found to be helpful.

Hi, Anne,

I developed a unit on heraldry (coats of arms) for my HS art history
class, though I'm sure you could adapt it for younger kids. The research
was fascinating--there were many rules concerning the design and use of
coats of arms. My students--all Indians--enjoy designing their own by
adapting traditional motifs and colors; the unit is easily used even by
kids of non-European descent. I'd be glad to <gulp> e-mail you the
outline for the unit--I think I've got this attachment stuff figured out.

Maggie